Cannabis Addiction Treatment Centres
Contrary to what some people believe, it is possible to become dependent on marijuana. As with most substances, the brain and body adapt to the presence of marijuana as it is used with increasing frequency. And so, when use stops, withdrawal symptoms can set in. The good news is that while these symptoms are uncomfortable and, at times, frightening, there has never been a recorded death from marijuana withdrawal. Nonetheless, it is better to stop your use of marijuana under the guidance of a medical professional of an addiction rehab, especially if you have coexisting health conditions that could be exacerbated by the withdrawal symptoms, or if you have been using marijuana in conjunction with alcohol or any other substance.
The most common marijuana withdrawal symptoms include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Irritability and agitation
- Anxiety, depression and mood swings
CALL OUR TOLL-FREE HELPLINE NOW AT 1-855-929-4045 or SEND US A MESSAGE
Marijuana Rehab in Toronto
Derived from the cannabis plant, marijuana is widely used for recreational and medical purposes. The effects it produces depend on the specific plant it is derived from: there are almost 800 known strains of cannabis, falling into three broad categories.
- Indica: generally produces a relaxed, calm effect
- Sativa: generally enhances energy, alertness and the ability to concentrate
- Hybrid: these plants are genetically modified to produce a specific combination of effects
How Is Marijuana Consumed?
As countries and regions around the world allow the use of marijuana for medical or recreational purposes, cannabis companies are coming up with inventive ways to package it. Some of the more common methods of consumption include:
- Smoking: Dried cannabis flower is smoked in a joint, pipe or bong. This method is popular because it is so efficient: the effects can be felt within moments.
- Vaping: Cannabis oil is heated and the vapours are inhaled. Like smoking, this is a highly efficient means of ingestion.
- Edibles: Cannabis is used as a recipe in chocolate, baked goods such as brownies, and ice cream. The effects are felt anywhere between 15 minutes and two hours, depending on the person’s metabolism.
- Oil: Various concentrations of TCH and CBD – the two active ingredients in cannabis – are made into oil that is taken in small doses. Onset of effects takes 15 minutes to one hour, depending on the product.
Is Marijuana / Weed Harmful?
The effects of marijuana vary widely not only from one person to the next, but from one strain of cannabis to the next. The reason for use also has an impact: medical users of marijuana take the drugs for a specific purpose, and if they are using it as prescribed, they are taking specific doses at carefully planned intervals.
Recreational users, on the other hand, are less likely to monitor and control how much marijuana they are using, and with what frequency. In some individuals – and for some strains of cannabis – some side effects may appear. These include:
- Impaired coordination and slower-than-usual reflexes
- Impaired judgment that may lead to high-risk behaviour
- Increased risk of cardiac arrest and stroke
- Short-term memory problems
- Some individuals may experience paranoia, hallucinations, and dissociation from reality
Those who use marijuana recreationally for an extended period of time may be at risk of the following long-term effects:
- Poor performance at work or school
- A decline in cognitive ability
- Difficulty learning and performing complex tasks
Marijuana As A “Gateway Drug”
Over the years, there has been some debate as to whether marijuana is a “gateway drug” that leads individuals into the use of other, more harmful substances. Available evidence does seem to support the idea that people who use marijuana regularly are more likely than non-users to become addicted to other substances, such as opioids and alcohol, especially in those who start using marijuana during their teenage years.
How Can I Overcome Marijuana Addiction?
People become addicted to marijuana for all kinds of reasons. In many cases, this addiction affects teenagers who are struggling to fit in, who are experiencing difficulty with their families, and who are struggling with their confidence and self-esteem. Other times, the addict is an adult who started using marijuana in order to stay alert during long days at the office.
No matter what path led you to where you are, inpatient rehab for marijuana addiction can help you overcome your problems and start a new life that is free from the shackles of substance abuse.
All of our treatment plans are tailored to the needs of the individual, based on your unique needs and circumstances, the state of your physical and mental health, how long you have been using marijuana and whether any other substances are involved, and much more. Treatment modalities include group, individual and family therapy, music and art therapy, yoga and meditation, and much more.
We understand the balance between rehab and recreation, and we allow plenty of time for our clients to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and connect with nature.
To get started, all you have to do is call us. We are looking forward to helping you start your journey to a better life.